The building opened in 1940 as the Monica Theatre. Initially it was a typical neighborhood house and then shifted toward a good career running foreign films. By 1960 the theatre had started a slide toward soft-core porno.
In 1970 it became the Pussycat and for a long period was one of the flagship houses for Vincent Miranda's chain. Long runs and lines around the block were the rule for films such as "Deep Throat" and "Devil in Miss Jones" as porno chic became the rage.
Later as a gay porno venue it got rebranded as the Tomkat. In 2006 it got the name Studs and later it was branded as Studs at the Pussycat. The adult multiplex theater in the city of West Hollywood was the sole remaining to feature gay, straight and transgender adult movies.
Citing multiple rent hikes and a rise in crime in the area, the owners Omar Fiori Cassing and Max Cassing did not renew their lease at this location. The final film shown at Studs was on October 29, 2022.